Office OpenXML Gets Approval

cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 2 14:15:33 UTC 2008

> I think standards should be based on best practices, and whatever
> microsoft has been doing with office's file formats for many years is
> far from the best they could have done, it just happens to have been the
> easiest once they already screwed it up to begin with.

Microsoft should legally be responsible for providing a fully functional
converter from OOXML to other standards - otherwise, there would have really
been no point in making OOXML a standard at all (considering that the first
revision suggestion was just rejected because it was completely too vast).
What's the point of having an international standard if the public can't fix it?

For some reason, I can't foresee a fully functional converter ever materializing
though - there will likely always be bugs - and those people that continue using
Ms software will be forced sticking with their garbage format for fear of some
compatibility issue that was never addressed.

Major companies will probably also stick with MS formats for the same reason.
The whole ISO / OOXML process was kind of a joke in my opinion.