Encrypted IRC service

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 30 14:47:29 UTC 2007

On September 30, 2007 08:32:49 am Neil Watson wrote:
> Is it possible to run an IRC server that can encrypt client/server
> traffic?  Which IRC servers and clients support encryption?

Try Silc (silcnet.org). I've been using it with friends for a few months now
on our own server & channels. You can't connect to any irc server, the silc
network is its own thing, but the number of nodes is growing, and you can
always just set it up privately for you and your clients. Everything is
encrypted using public/private keys automatically, including server to server
communication for building up the network.

The silc client itself supports most of the basic irssi functionality, like
private messages, modes, ops etc. There are pidgin and kopete plugins, and
whatever the big irc gui on mac is, it has a plugin too.

Jamon