Asus Eee (low cost notebook) pre-oder offer sighted

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 28 17:50:38 UTC 2007

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

| > http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&product=2515753

| Um, that's a demo with a French Canadian keyboard, which is not to
| everyone's taste.

True.  I think that the keyboard is "Bilinual Canadian" so it should
work for us too.  Probably good for us, in fact (like spinach).

I don't know the layout.  Z243.200-91 is the intellectual property of
SCC.  I think that there is an extra key on the home row, just to the
left of the Enter key.
  http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/its-nit/standards/tbits05/crit05_e.asp?format=print

| An interesting comparison of the EeePC, the nanobook and the OLPC (along
| with the Intel Classmate and stillborn Palm Foleo) can be found at
| http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ultra-cheap_sub-notebook_matrix

Nice table.  Perhaps wrong.  I don't know what the colour coding
means.

- The table says that the Eee has a camera.  The Anitec ad lists the
  webcam on the C$330 and C$430 models, not the C$290 model.

- The table lists flash on the Eee as 8G but Anitec lists it as 2G on the
  lower two models and 4G on the higher one.

- The table says that RAM is 512M.  Anitec says 256M on the lower two
  models.

- the mass of the Eee looks nicely low.

- The Eee's display has the same number of pixels as my Nokia 770.
  I'd like more.  (My Nokia cost half of what the Anitec charges
  for the Eee, but that was an end-of-life bargain.)