starcraft

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 28 00:38:04 UTC 2007

On September 27, 2007 07:58:42 pm Chris Aitken wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:50:05PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >> 256 MB RAM - I don't think that will cut it for VMWare...
> >
> > Nope.  I wouldn't try that.  Well you could start vmware with maybe 32MB
> > ram running win95 or 98 and run starcraft on that.  That would probably
> > be OK.
>
> I'm in the middle of a VMWare Workstation installation (legal copy BTW).
> I'm being asked...
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
>
> I don't know the answer to that. I tried hitting Enter to accept default
> - didn't work. I tried typing 'y' for yes (stupid, I know). I tried
> typing in the default (/usr/src/linux/include) - also didn't work.

You'll need the kernel-devel package (yum install kernel-devel) and the vmware
any-any patch if you're running vmware workstation 5.
http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update113.tar.gz

There is an issue with vmware 6 on newer >= 2.6.21/22 kernels where the
network part of the workstation/player fails to build. See this thread for
people's various patched tarballs and instructions on how to apply them:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/645058

I've had good success with this one: http://chaz6.com/?p=196

That being said, Starcraft runs fabulously well under Wine, there is no real
need to run it in a virtual machine that I can see.

Jamon