Problems with sound

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 27 14:01:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 08:31:54PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I built the kernel with ALSA and without OSS.  lsmod only-shows
> ehci-hcd.  The card support is built into the kernel.  alsaconf can't
> find it.  If I build the card support (Intel8x0/NvidiaCK807) as a
> module, alsaconf "finds it", goes through the motions of setting it up,
> but I get the same error when trying to use alsa.

Why would you not build it as a module?  It is much easier for udev to
detect your hardware and pass the correct parameters and to ensure
things are initialized in the right order.  It also takes care of
setting permissions on the /dev entries which built in won't do for you.
The idea of an all built in kernel is extremely obsolete and doesn't
work for many things anymore since it is not the method accepted by the
developers of the kernel.

check /proc/asound/cards

Also having the module for oss emulation makes alsa much easier to use
since there are still some programs that only support the oss interface.

As for the problem with mpg123, well maybe the sound card isn't even
detected, or maybe the sound chip is one of those intel ones that only
does 48khz.

--
Len Sorensen