Problems with sound

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 27 01:29:51 UTC 2007

On September 26, 2007 08:32:19 pm Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 07:18:28PM +0000, Tyler Aviss wrote
>
> > Ahhh, good point. Does it work as root but not as a standard user
> > (which would indeed be a permissions issue). However, I assumed that
> > since it worked before this wasn't the case, but perhaps udev or
> > something of that ilk decided to rewrite the permissions on various
> > devices.
> >
> > It might be an idea to check the permissions on some of these:
> >   /dev/snd*
> >   /dev/audio*
> >   /dev/mixer*

<snip>

>   Even as root, mpg123 chokes
>
> Directory: /home/misc/music/pop_standards/
> Playing MPEG stream 1 of 1: Tennessee_Waltz_-_Patti_Page.mp3 ...
> Title:   The Tennessee Waltz             Artist: Patti Page
> Comment:                                 Album:
> Year:    1950                            Genre:  Oldies
> MPEG 2.0 layer III, 64 kbits/s, 22050 Hz joint-stereo
> initialize_device(): cannot set hw params
> audio: Success
>
>   Since my troubles began with a kernel upgrade, I'll go back to the
> previous version and see if that solves my problem.

Wouldn't be 2.6.21 on Lenny would it? I had trouble with my soundcard not
showing up at boot *always*.

I typically roll my own kernel and install it with checkinstall though
initially with Lenny I didn't and hance the problem. Removing OSS and
compiling the module as a module, and not statically has my sound working on
2.6.22.8 no problem, no manual modprobe/rmmod/alsaconf intervention on my
part.

Jamon