starcraft

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 18:56:21 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 01:05:02PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> > Ha! Your top posting is no match for my cut and paste! ;)
> >
> > Anyhow, I went back and reread what was on that page, and now it's even
> > curiouser (especially the very last sentence):
> >
> > "The only networking method in the release version is IPX. However, if you
> > update the game, a new UDP networking option is available, which should work
> > for all users. In order to use IPX networking, IPX will have to be enabled
> > in the kernel, and you need some userspace utilities, usually called
> > ipx-utils; and IPX must be started (there should be an initscript). Also
> > note that StarCraft's network support is only available when it is run as
> > root."
>
> So if you get the latest update patch for starcraft it should support
> UDP.  If it requires root, it probably means that they stupidly used a
> port number lower than 1024.  battle.net had some serious problems early
> on.  Seems blizzard simply have no clue at the start when it came to
> networking.

The way they wrote that bit is kind of obtuse, though. Do they mean that root
is required if you go the IPX route and have to tweak the kernel, or in
general? Technical people are a bit not good for getting across meaning what
they say all times ;)

> IPX is only useful for local networks, where many years ago it was
> considered perfectly reasonable to use.  Then the Internet came along
> for regular folks and ipx and netbeui went away (good riddance too).

They used to come in handy when you wanted to set up a temp connection on the
network that no one else would have access to, seeing as netbeui is
non-routable. Hackish, I know, but for quick and dirty...

--
JoeHill