starcraft

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 07:00:19 UTC 2007

Tyler Aviss wrote:

> > On 9/25/07, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Chris Aitken wrote:
> >
> > > I want to put linux on my son's computer. The bottom line is that he be
> > > able to play Starcraft. I know the things out there for Windows programs
> > > include winex (incl. cedega transgaming), CodeWeavers, Win4Lin and
> > > VMWare. I don't mind paying for all this to work. Although I was proud
> > > to be able to get my emu 1212 m pci soundcard working under linux I
> > > think this would be a harder task (maybe beyond me). Some of these
> > > things (winex et al.) I believe are kind of in bed with a couple of OSs
> > > (linspire? SuSE?).
> > >
> > > I have read some unfavourable comments about linspire/cedega that you
> > > have to pay, pay, pay, for a questionable product (not to mention it's
> > > not GPL correct). Another sticking point for my son is whether or not
> > > he'll be able to play Startcraft  /online./ He says there are extra
> > > software bits to download for that - he's assuming these have not been
> > > ported to linux. Cedega guarantees Starcraft but they don't mention
> > > playing online. I've been able to do most things I've set out to do on
> > > linux (in large part by the grace of this mailing list) but what are my
> > > chances of success with this project?
> >
> > I have never played starcraft (though now I'm kinda curious), but I wanted
> > to throw in another 'try wine'.
> >
> > The latest wine is very very good. It _finally_ let me play Halflife 2,
> > which is can be a tough nut to crack because you cannot run it without this
> > really irritating Steam program, and that was always the headache. As soon
> > as I installed the most recent version of Wine, it ran almost flawlessly.
> >
> > Cedega...well...a ways back I actually asked for support from them. All my
> > games would run, including Quake 4, Doom 3 (natively of course), Medal of
> > Honour, Halflife, etc., but HL2 would not. Steam kept complaining that my
> > video card was not supported (GeForce 7600). The folks at Cedega could only
> > advise me to get a better video card. Uuuuuh, yeah, sure.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, they're not terribly interested in anything but
> > getting their subscription payment.
> >
> > --
> > JoeHill
> > ++++++++++++++++++++
> > Fry: "I'm not prejudiced."
> > Bender: "Ah, save it for the cross-burning, Adolf."
> >

> Hey Joe,
>

> Did you have to do anything to strip copy-protection out of other
> games (especially the original-disc-required ones) or did they work
> just fine without doing that? I haven't tried vanilla wine for games
> in awhile (well, haven't played many games in awhile actually)

No issues with copy-protection at all. Well...okay, the Medal of Honour,
because it's...well...less than legit. I really should just buy it, it's
probably about $5 by now. That one I have a crack for. Otherwise, nothing.
Halflife and Halflife 2 have no requirement for the CD's, as long as Steam can
verify your key, you're good to go. I'm pretty sure most current games use a
similar method, ie. verifying over the 'net, Quake 4 does that, though of
course that will run natively on Linux.

No-CD cracks, if you need them, are just as easy to find as they always were. I
see them all the time on Bittorrent.

--
JoeHill