starcraft

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 00:30:37 UTC 2007

Tyler Aviss wrote:

<snip>
> I've never used wine - I'm reading the man page now. It looks like I >
> just point wine to the executable of Starcraft..
>
> Assuming the copy-protection issues can be ignored. Yeah, just pop in
> the CD and have wine run setup.exe or whatever.
Well, I'm getting somewhere. I popped in the CD, nautilus displayed its
contents, I right-clicked setup.exe, chose "Open with Wine Windows
Emulator", installed Starcraft. I had my son try it out. He showed me
that 'Single Player' is working, but when he goes to 'Multi-Player' >
'Battle.Net a little box popped up but minus the status bar which shows
it is downloading stuff. This box (which does not give us the status
bar) then disappears. Isn't .Net an MS technology - would it be stupid
to expect it to work in linux?

It was exciting to hear the sound and see the installation and
everything. I'm getting close...

There was a Direct Cable Connection option - maybe I'll try that...

Chris

<snip>