Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 00:07:27 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> --- Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Funny how the airline you'd figure to be the one
> > most attacked --
> > Israel's El Al -- is also the most secure (no
> > successful hits or
> > hijackings yet). Its planes are equipped with
> > anti-missile  defence.
> > Security of this kind is possible on all airlines if
> > the will exists,
> > just like high standards of maintenance.
>
> Not true. July 23, 1968 El Al had its first (and to
> date ONLY) successful hijacking (of a flight from
> Rome, Italy, to Lod, Israel, the flight ended up in
> Algiers). Since then El Al has poured a massive amount
> of money in to making sure what happened in 1968
> doesn't happen again... There in is part of the issue,
> how much money is safety worth, El Al's answer has
> been "a lot", other airlines the answer being "not
> quite as much"...

Evan provbably had in mind that there were no successfull terrorists
attacks on El-Al. However, I would not  believe myself that Israelian
El-Al is most secure, regardless all weapons they may have on board.

In 1992, or 1992, or may be 1993 I saw by myself, together with my
wife, how El-Al plain desintegrates over Amsterdam, 300 meters in
straight from the place we lived. It was a cargo plane, had just 5
people on board and, probably, a huge load of chemicals used for
producing weapons, transported from USA. And, of course, it was fully
loaded with fuel, just after taking off from Amsterdam Schipholl
airport. It was Boeining 747. It "landed" with the top at bottom and
bottom at top, striking 2 eleven floor buildings, and killing there
instantly at least around 40-50 people. Next day the Netherland police
had really no access to the place. They just protect that nobody
enters the terrain. Instead, they waited for experts from Israel...

zb.