starcraft

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 22:55:15 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > I have never played starcraft (though now I'm kinda curious), but I wanted to
> > throw in another 'try wine'.
> >
> Okay, I just installed it with yum install wine
>
> I've never used wine - I'm reading the man page now. It looks like I
> just point wine to the executable of Startcraft..
>
> Chris
> > The latest wine is very very good.
> [root at p733 chris]# wine --version
> wine-0.9.44
>
> >  It _finally_ let me play Halflife 2, which
> > is can be a tough nut to crack because you cannot run it without this really
> > irritating Steam program, and that was always the headache. As soon as I
> > installed the most recent version of Wine, it ran almost flawlessly.
> >
> That's encouraging.
> > Cedega...well...a ways back I actually asked for support from them. All my games
> > would run, including Quake 4, Doom 3 (natively of course), Medal of Honour,
> > Halflife, etc., but HL2 would not. Steam kept complaining that my video card was
> > not supported (GeForce 7600). The folks at Cedega could only advise me to get a
> > better video card. Uuuuuh, yeah, sure.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, they're not terribly interested in anything but getting
> > their subscription payment.
> >
> That is the kind of thing I've been hearing. Sounds like bad karma to
> support them anyway.
>
> Chris

I've never used wine - I'm reading the man page now. It looks like I >
just point wine to the executable of Starcraft..

Assuming the copy-protection issues can be ignored. Yeah, just pop in
the CD and have wine run setup.exe or whatever. If memory serves (and
is still current) it usually create a directory like
~user/.wine/fake_c where it dumps the installed files.

I've always wanted to take that, dump it to a liveDVD along with an
ISO of the gamedisc, and then have it so that I could just boot the
game right from disc without hassle. Alas it's one of those projects
that will forever be in the not-enough-time zone, but it'd be great
for LAN-parties if all the hardware detection worked (and everyone had
enough memory for RAMdisk) :-)