OT contracting and incorporation

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 21:23:48 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I have a question to direct to the self employed members of the group.
> > Are you incorporated?  As an IT contractor are there reasons to
> > incorporate or not to incorporate?
>
> When I have contracted, those doing business expected/demanded that
> there be a corporation there, in that this would provide some
> "immunization" from their being deemed to be my employer, and hence
> potentially liable for the various things associated with being an
> employer.

Curious.  If you're *self-employed* - what's the point of incorporating?

Kinda hard to make a board out of one person, isn't it?

Not trying to be contrary (it's been one of those days) and obviously
an accountant and lawyer would be the best source of advice.  Just
seems a little overkill to incorporate a one-person company...
(Granted, I might be misreading the original question.)

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/