OT contracting and incorporation

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 20:48:34 UTC 2007

Neil Watson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a question to direct to the self employed members of the group.
> Are you incorporated?  As an IT contractor are there reasons to
> incorporate or not to incorporate?

My accountant was a great help in answering this question for me. I
would suggest that, above and beyond anything you might see here, you
ask your accountant this question.

In short though, it depends on how much money you are making and the
risks you carry.

Again, your accountant/lawyer is the only real person you should be
asking this question of. The potential repercussions of either decision
can be great. What would you hope to accomplish by incorporating? What
benefits are there of being a sole proprietor?

As a small business owner, this is probably one of the "big" questions
you will have to answer.

Madi