starcraft

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 16:21:53 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> I want to put linux on my son's computer. The bottom line is that he be
> able to play Starcraft. I know the things out there for Windows programs
> include winex (incl. cedega transgaming), CodeWeavers, Win4Lin and
> VMWare. I don't mind paying for all this to work. Although I was proud
> to be able to get my emu 1212 m pci soundcard working under linux I
> think this would be a harder task (maybe beyond me). Some of these
> things (winex et al.) I believe are kind of in bed with a couple of OSs
> (linspire? SuSE?).
>
> I have read some unfavourable comments about linspire/cedega that you
> have to pay, pay, pay, for a questionable product (not to mention it's
> not GPL correct). Another sticking point for my son is whether or not
> he'll be able to play Startcraft  /online./ He says there are extra
> software bits to download for that - he's assuming these have not been
> ported to linux. Cedega guarantees Starcraft but they don't mention
> playing online. I've been able to do most things I've set out to do on
> linux (in large part by the grace of this mailing list) but what are my
> chances of success with this project?

I have never played starcraft (though now I'm kinda curious), but I wanted to
throw in another 'try wine'.

The latest wine is very very good. It _finally_ let me play Halflife 2, which
is can be a tough nut to crack because you cannot run it without this really
irritating Steam program, and that was always the headache. As soon as I
installed the most recent version of Wine, it ran almost flawlessly.

Cedega...well...a ways back I actually asked for support from them. All my games
would run, including Quake 4, Doom 3 (natively of course), Medal of Honour,
Halflife, etc., but HL2 would not. Steam kept complaining that my video card was
not supported (GeForce 7600). The folks at Cedega could only advise me to get a
better video card. Uuuuuh, yeah, sure.

As far as I can tell, they're not terribly interested in anything but getting
their subscription payment.

--
JoeHill