How to delete a non existant file?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 13:19:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 07:50:34PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> The problem is the colo will likely still charge it as a seperate box.
> They normally charge for a subset of power, space, network and/or IPs -
> and it won't be the subset which is convenient to us :)  If it needs a
> network port and a power point it'll likely get charged as another box,
> which is fair enough as it is consuming their resources.

Do they charge extra if you have a redundant power supply in your
server?

I haven't dealt much with colocation, but the one I dealt with only
charged for 1/4, 1/2 or full rack space wise, and the number of machines
you put in there didn't matter.  Also charged for the number of IPs you
wanted, but how you allocated them didn't matter to them.  And of course
for bandwidth for the whole set of systems, for which the console server
would be irrelevant.  If they start charging by the power outlet and
network cable then I think it is time to find a different provider that
doesn't nickle and dime you to death.

> Amazingly few people have taken this approach even when it makes sense.  I
> have tried to convince quite a few companies...

If it can save you one hour of downtime in a year, it is worth a $700
console server.  It may even save enough maintenance time to be worth it
in no time.

> That's what I meant by cross-connect.  I've never known 2 consoles plugged
> together to work.

Yeah I am not sure if that could be done.

> BTW when I have run serial console servers I run only ssh on the box and
> lock ssh down to pki auth only.

Yeah ssh would be the only option I would trust.

> So the Knoppix cdrom becomes a viable alternative to a serial console in a
> variety of situations.
>
> I recently rebuilt a box in Florida in a colo using this approach.  It had
> a twin in Toronto which I rebuilt from RH to Ubuntu at the console.  I
> then imaged the filesystems (xfsdump) here, booted the box in Florida to
> Knoppix, repartitioned the drives and dumped the images directly on to the
> box.  Then I reran the boot loader and voila - working Ubuntu box in
> Florida.

I have made bootable discs that simply booted and ran a script which
partitioned and loaded an image from the disc onto the drive.  Pretty
simple to automate.

--
Len Sorensen