Geek woman news story of possible interest...

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 05:08:57 UTC 2007

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > And last time I checked, the security was not all that tight at the subway
> > either.
>
> How do you know? Security need not be "in your face".

I'm not always totally awake on the subway, but I'm pretty sure I've never had
my luggage searched or scanned, there are no metal detectors, and I'm
absolutely certain that the 'dress code' is a lot more lax, if you know what I
mean :)

> > You know what else? I'm pretty sure I've never seen any really rich
> > people on the subway ;)
>
> What does "a really rich person" look like? Is their net worth stamped
> on their foreheads? What is "rich"?

Zbigniew answered this better than I can ;)

> >> Until people start dealing with the reason there are people doing crazy
> >> things then they will continue to happen.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this is the kind of kind of thinking that is just not allowed
> > within the current debate. Current dogma is that there is no possible way
> > that we could ever change anything so that people might hate us less. We're
> > supposed to just bomb them, which will somehow make them... not want to
> > bomb us?
>
> It is folly to think that showering those who would perpetrate such
> outrages as 9/11 could be dissuaded from their evil intent merely by
> showering them with money or by being nice to them. None of the 9/11
> hijackers were impoverished. All had many opportunities available to
> them but they chose to destroy their lives along with the lives of
> thousands of innocents despite all that.

I don't recall saying we needed to be 'nice' to murderers. However, carpet
bombing tens of thousands of civilians into dust in Afghanistan may not have
won us too many friends. Strangely, not one of the hijackers on 9/11 was from
Afghanistan, and all of the financing came from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, who
_are_ being showered with money by the US. Go figure.

In any case, I always remember what I learned about terrorism way back when I
was in school: the whole point of terrorism is to make your target behave...
exactly like we are behaving right now. Vengeful, paranoid, and repressive.

--
JoeHill