How to delete a non existant file?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 21:07:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> I think if I ever had to deal with colocated servers, I would insist on
> getting an ssh enabled serial console server.  At least then you get
> remote access to the console when you need it.

When possible I have indeed done this.  It is very cool to take a box off
the network when it is 15000km away, reconfigure it's networking and bring
it backup all from a serial console.

Often the client only has a single box in the colo so a serial console
isn't an option (a 2nd box is too difficult to justify).

If 2 servers are available you can cross-connect the consoles bearing in
mind that this puts them in the same security domain (each system is
essentially defenceless to an attack from the other).

When you have multiple servers a serial console server starts to make
sense.

> Oh and remote power control too.

That is generally available.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"