Problems with sound

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 19:18:28 UTC 2007

Ahhh, good point. Does it work as root but not as a standard user
(which would indeed be a permissions issue). However, I assumed that
since it worked before this wasn't the case, but perhaps udev or
something of that ilk decided to rewrite the permissions on various
devices.

It might be an idea to check the permissions on some of these:
  /dev/snd*
  /dev/audio*
  /dev/mixer*

And if using udev or something of that sort:
  /dev/.static/snd*
  /dev/.static/audio*
  /dev/.static/mixer*