free antispam for Linux

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 12:55:00 UTC 2007

Jeremy Baker wrote:
> I use Maia Mailguard.  It is an amavisd based web frontend that uses
> spamassassin and clamav to process incoming mail. Works great.

The summary of all this is that generally most solutions use more than
one technique for finding spam. SpamAssassin performs pattern matching
in the email and meta data, greylisting and delayed banners check for
impatient MTAs, RBLs look for known spammers or for hosts that shouldn't
be sending email, OCR decodes images to look for words, razor and pyzor
compare messages with a network of MTAs, spam traps capture spam and
there are many more techniques.

One thing that I've learned is that there isn't a fire-and-forget open
source solution. Each needs tuning and work to keep up. I tend to have
to re-tune my solution (MailScanner) quarterly. I use RulesDuJour to
keep spam assassin rules up to date daily, but I have to check for new
rule sets manually. MailScanner comes up with new ways to detect spam so
upgrading and reviewing it's changelog are valuable. Very rarely I will
institute a new MTA method (like delayed banner) or turn on a new
MailScanner feature.

In my case my server processes about 10,000 messages a day. About 5,000
are refused before they submit the message. Of the 5,000 remaining about
2,000 are spam.
--

Register for the Ontario Linux Fest Conference <http://onlinux.ca> today!
A Linux Conference for users by users.

--
*John Van Ostrand* 	*Net Direct Inc.*
CTO, co-CEO 	564 Weber St. N. Unit 12 	map

  	Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6
john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org 	Ph: 866-883-1172 	ext.5102
*Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware* 	Fx: 519-883-8533