Problems with sound

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 04:54:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:57:09PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> >   Yes, that's correct, mpg123 reports "Success" but fails.  mpg321
> > reports an error but plays the mp3 properly.
>
> Has it ever worked?  What sound device?
>
> Does the driver version of alsa (in the kernel and /proc/asound/version)
> match the version of the alsa library and utilities?

  It was a PEBKAC error.  I built the new kernel but forgot to make it
the default at bootup.  They say that memory is the second thing to go,
I forget what the first is.

  Anyhow I had ALSA 1.0.13 in the kernel, with 1.0.14 alsa-lib and
alsa-utils.  That obviously doesn't work.  OK, so I've now set up the
kernel properly, and rebooted, re-emerged alsa-lib and alsa-utils and
audacious and audacious-plugins, but am still having the same problems
(audacious and mpg123 which use ALSA, die; Realplayer and mpg321 get by
with the OSS api on ALSA).  revdep-rebuild doesn't find anything wrong.
What do I do now to recover ALSA functionality?  emerge --world?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?