Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 01:21:48 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ditto here. I remember travelling to Aus via the US about a year about
> the 9/11 incident. I was carrying with me a mini-ITX unit in a custom
> box which was basically folder/bent sheet-metal with a lexan top and
> front. Lots of wires sticking out, and of  course the motherboard etc.
>
> I actually expected to be questioned quite a bit about this, as it did
> look somewhat suspicious. The personally really didn't care much about
> it though, and didn't require that it be powered up or anything of the
> like.

One of my brothers had something "more interesting;" he had
(non-working, of course) samples of the charges used for automobile
airbags.  They were 'provably' non-functional samples on the basis of
having a drop of orange paint, in an appropriate spot.

All was well, and everyone was happy enough with that.

Of course, the "fly" in the ointment is that painting an orange dot on
a *real* one wouldn't be terribly difficult, and that would presumably
be a way to get a not-inconsiderable bit of explosive onto a plane.  I
don't think they'd permit this anymore.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)