Linuxcaffe article in TQ Magazine

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 01:12:11 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Glen Strom <gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:28:21 -0400
> "Paul Mora" <paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >Hey.
> >
> >If someone's already posted this, I apologize for the duplication.
> >
> >Check out the excellent article about Linux and Linuxcaffe in the
> >Globe and Mail's TQ (Technology Quarterly) magazine.  You can see the
> >article at:
> >
> >http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tq
> >
> Good article, except for his comments about Slackware:
>
> "Slackware... Although it has fallen seriously behind its progeny..."
>
> Fallen seriously behind? Bullcrap. It's right where we want it. ;->

It's certainly fair to say that the *popularity* of Slackware has
fallen seriously behind...

For a rather long time it was perpetuating Knuth's ire because
Slackware was distributing obsolete fonts; I'm not sure when that got
fixed, but it certainly took years.  It certainly did "fall behind"
for a considerable period...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)