Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 23 23:44:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, JoeHill wrote:

> Do keep in mind, though, the fact that your lack of 'problems' was the
> result of _at least_ two other things:
>
> 1. You were fortunate enough not to be on any of the completely
> arbitrary and by all accounts silly 'no fly' lists in effect in the US.

Indeed.  How one gets on those lists seems a mystery and it seems to be
all but impossible to get off of them.

> 2. You do not fit any of the 'racial profiles' that are used so
> prevalently at borders and airports and such. Huge assumption on my
> part, but I'll take the risk ;)

True on both counts and your points are well taken.

> Remember, trying to apply one's own experiences as evidence of somebroader
> trend can be really problematic. Anecdotes can be informative, but they
> can

Agreed.  My main point relates to the fact that being confrontational on
their turf may not end well.

I'm very keen to see the current problems resolved but confrontation or
deliberate provocation in the air terminal isn't going to be the solution.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"