Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 23 22:44:10 UTC 2007

Ditto here. I remember travelling to Aus via the US about a year about
the 9/11 incident. I was carrying with me a mini-ITX unit in a custom
box which was basically folder/bent sheet-metal with a lexan top and
front. Lots of wires sticking out, and of  course the motherboard etc.

I actually expected to be questioned quite a bit about this, as it did
look somewhat suspicious. The personally really didn't care much about
it though, and didn't require that it be powered up or anything of the
like.

Amusingly what they did ask me about when I hit Aus was a present I
brought with me. A stuffed beaver with a few wires/circuits inside
that danced and sang "I am Canadian." The Australian airport security
got me to play it twice, once to demonstrate and another to show to a
bunch of other staff because it was cute :-)

I think that sometimes the most distinguishable thing that you "bring"
with you to the airport is your attitude, not the items on your
person. A little politeness and a quick talk with the airport staff
inquiring about the shirt probably would have avoided the whole issue.