How to delete a non existant file?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 23 16:18:36 UTC 2007

I've seen similar issues on buggy machines before, and I would have to
agree that it's likely corruption. You say you don't have physical
access to the box... is it yours at a remote location or is it shared
with others. If it's yours, you could just figure out whatever
drive/partition that file is under, and as noted mount it read-only
and do a check which should hopefully fix things up.

For example, if it's a file under partition /dev/hda2

mount /dev/hda2 -o remount,ro
fsck.ext3 -p /dev/hda2
mount /dev/hda2 -o remount,rw

Something similar could be used to fix it up. If it's not just your
box, you'd probably want whoever locally admins it to do this.
Sometimes funky things can happen when fsck'ing a corrupted FS,
especially if it's due to hardware issues (if you still happen to have
bad RAM or a glitch somewhere, you could aggravate the problem).

Cheers,

TJA