Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 22 17:14:06 UTC 2007

On September 21, 2007 09:35:50 pm Glen Strom wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:57:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >Ran across the following bit about Star Simpson, a
> >student at MIT arrested in essence for acting like a
> >geek:
>
> I saw the article at the Toronto Star website. The first thing I
> thought was, how can smart people be so damn stupid. And it sounds
> like she really doesn't see the problem.
>
> It reminds me of an expression I heard years ago: book-smart and
> life-dumb.

I wonder about that. Seems like there's some contextual information missing
from the whole story.

That, and I'll pose the question: what is wrong with what she did? Were it the
street, why would the cops have been more or less justified in their reaction
since the law is the law regardless of location?

Besides, someone's already patented and is working on clothes with integrated
lcd/leds, so in a year or two once we're all walking advertisements it'll be
like she was a pioneer and everyone will be walking around airports with lite
brite clothes.

But clap your hands, let's have a big round of stupids to all involved.

Jamon