Problems with sound

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 22 02:04:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:18:15PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote

> Just guessing off the top of my head: one is using the OSS interface,
> while the other is using ALSA.  What device are you pointing each one
> to?

  With xmms deprecated, and audacious not working, I'm using realplayer
to listen to live365.com.  lsof indicates that "realplay" is using
/dev/sound/dsp and /dev/sound/mixer.  realplayer is working properly.
Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago when I upgraded
the kernel<g>.  I copied over my old .config and ran "make oldconfig".
Here's a screenshot from "make menuconfig".  I'm using alsa with OSS
emulation...

    <*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
    <*>   Sequencer support
    < >     Sequencer dummy client
    <*>   OSS Mixer API
    <*>   OSS PCM (digital audio) API
    [*]     OSS PCM (digital audio) API - Include plugin system
    [*]   OSS Sequencer API
    [ ]   Dynamic device file minor numbers
    [*]   Support old ALSA API
    [*]   Verbose procfs contents
    [ ]   Verbose printk
    [ ]   Debug
          Generic devices  --->
          ISA devices  --->
          PCI devices  --->
          USB devices  --->
          System on Chip audio support  --->

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?