OT: How many internal IDE drives maximum off of an ATX power supply?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 21 15:53:24 UTC 2007

First thing I usually do when setting up a new machine is replace the
oftimes-crappy PSU with a decent Enermax. I've found that those tend
to last the longest (Antec are good but I have had those crap out on
me), and they tend to give the rest of the hardware a longer-lifetime
due to less noise/spikes/drops in voltage. Certainly I see hard-drive
lifetime a bit extended by ensuring the machine has a good PSU and
proper cooling.

If you have a decent PSU and it *does* happen to die, they're usually
built in such a way that it will do so without taking out everything
that's connected. In contrast, my last el-cheapo PSU fried an attached
hard-drive and fried my motherboard enough to leave a brown scorch
mark near the ATX connector.

In short, they cost more but tend to save you money in the long run.