Lotus Symphony is a Free Download from IBM

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 18 21:18:08 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Yeah, it's still proprietary, but it supports ODF. Linux and Window
> downloads with a port for Mac OS X coming.
>
> http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

Wow, that's a "blast from the past."  I remember preparing financial
statements using Symphony, once upon a time.  Back then were the days
of MS-DOS, and Symphony had the oddity that it implemented everything
atop the common "spreadsheet substrate."

For instance, word processing was implemented via having each line be
a spreadsheet cell; justification and such would lead to words getting
shoved from cell to cell, so that it was startlingly slow...

I'll bet it is different now - it was definitely wacky back then!
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)