mount slave drive

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 18 17:32:14 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 01:08:24PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> If I chose the filesystem it would have been ext3. Sometimes they are
>> auto-assigned Vol-something (I don't understand that system).
>>
>> one
>>
>> I'm not familiar with LVM (I choose No whenever offered that) and
>> certainly it's not RAID.
>>
>> I didn't choose anything exotic.
>>
>> It's still on IDE 1 as slave (I checked that it's still jumpered to slave).
>>

> So everything says there should be something simple to find, yet
> everything is acting as if the drive was overwritten by zeros pretty
> much.
>

>> [root at p733 chris]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>>
>> Disk /dev/sdb: 10.0 GB, 10005037056 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1216 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>
>>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/sdb1   *           1           1           0    0  Empty
>> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
>>
>> [root at p733 chris]# dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sdb.scan bs=512 count=100
>> skip=63;file /tmp/sdb.scan
>> 100+0 records in
>> 100+0 records out
>> 51200 bytes (51 kB) copied, 0.0327913 s, 1.6 MB/s
>> /tmp/sdb.scan: data
>>

> Hmm.  Well given the geometry of the drive, that is where any first
> partition would normally start.  For example I get:
>
> lennartsorensen:~# dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/scan bs=512 count=100 skip=63
> 100+0 records in
> 100+0 records out
> 51200 bytes (51 kB) copied, 0.000804977 seconds, 63.6 MB/s
> lennartsorensen:~# file /tmp/scan
> /tmp/scan: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery)
>
> If you open the /tmp file created in a hex editor is it all 00s or FFs
> or a bunch of random data?

Where do I find this "/tmp" file (I know where the /tmp directory is, of
course) and what hex editor might I have on a fedora 7 box? Opening,
editing, saving and closing a config file in vi is the extent of my
dabbling...
> You could try and repeat the dd/file command increasing the skip by 63
> at a time, and see if it finds a partition somewhere.
[root at p733 chris]# dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sdb.scan bs=512 count=100
skip=126;file /tmp/sdb.scan
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
51200 bytes (51 kB) copied, 2.50463 s, 20.4 kB/s
/tmp/sdb.scan: data

>  Of course if
> there was an ext3 filesystem there, gpart should have found it.  It is
> very good at finding those.
>
> So what kind of files were on the drive before?

.ogg music files, and eighty-plus image files of self-portrait-a-day a
friend did while waiting for a liver transplant (for the last eighty
-plus days of his life) that never happened. This is not as terrible as
it sounds - I think his widow has put out a book of the prints of the
paintings - I don't think she'd re-send me the original emails with the
eighty-plus attachments, but I could get the book if I really wanted.
The songs are more important (or more urgent) because I use them in my
guitar instruction. I could start re-building the collection from my
students (by ripping/burning them from their CDs) but I'm finding that
more and more they are using mp3s which I'm hoping not to have to get
into. Also, I never was able to get limewire working under linux - hence
my dependence on ripping/burning CDs.

Chris