Dual PPPoE WAN Connections, Bridging Connections

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 18 02:49:03 UTC 2007

Hello folks

Due to happy circumstance, I have two DSL connections coming into my
house. One is through Nexxia, the other is Bell's Optimax service, so
they are both PPPoE. I've been thinking about the best way to utilize
them, and I think policy based dual-wan routing is my best option, of
the sort provided by pfSense.

However, pfSense has some limitations. It can only do one PPPoE wan
connection, and it can't traffic shape the connections if I have
dual-wan enabled. So I'm casting about for a suitable solution. One
I've been looking at is using two more boxen (call them A and B)
configured with pfSense or m0n0wall to shape each DSL connection
individually and handle the PPPoE auth, so that a third pfSense box
(box C) just has to handle the dual-wan rules.

The only problem here is that I don't particularly want my network to
be behind a double NAT configuration, so I'm wondering if there is a
way to configure these two boxes (A and B) so that they acquire an IP
via PPPoE, but then hand it to the dual-wan box (C). If they can also
shape some of the traffic while it passes through them, that would be
optimal.

I'm by no means set on using either pfSense or m0n0wall, I'm just
marginally familiar with them. Any suggestions for configurations or
alternatives would be much appreciated.

Mike