Mini-PCI (wireless) cards and compability

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 23:40:14 UTC 2007

I recently tried to upgrade the wireless card in my laptop from an
annoying broadcom 802.11b card which requires ndiswrapper to a
wonderful Intel ipw2200 card that has native linux drivers (and
supports wireless G). Unfortunately, my laptop - an HP Pavillion
zd7000 - complained loudly about having an "unauthorized card" at the
bootup screen, and I had to go back to the broadcom.

My assumption had been that mini-PCI was much like any other PCI
standard, though for mobile devices but it appears I am was mistaken.
Does anyone know about what locks a mini-PCI device to its hardware,
and how to tell what (if anything) is usable? The Intel card I got was
from/for a Dell, so I'm wondering if perhaps one from/for an HP would
work?