Open Source Licenses (WAS: Advice for starting a new project?)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 20:45:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:42:30PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Ok, I'm not familiar with your bias, though everyone does have their own.
> Mind explaining the choice to a curious mind?  I've heard of people avoiding
> the GPL, but never quite understood why.

Some people believe in just offering their source for use to make the
world of programming a better place, whether commercial or open source.
They tend to go for BSD license or public domain or similar.  The GPL
restricts the freedom too much for them.  After all some people just
want to make their code free, but don't care to force it to stay free
(in as much as forced freedom makes any sense).

--
Len Sorensen