Processors looking for a good home (OT)y

David Payne david-KgjyJOZJJiMsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 19:21:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:11:08PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, David Payne wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:09:54PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> >But choice of mail readers will not help him switch between
> >top posting and not top posting.  As long as the mail reader
> >allows you to do something besides top posting.
>
>    Is there such a thing as a mail reader that will only let you top
>    post? I've never seen one. Most do position the cursor at the top
>    of the message, but that's the way it should be: you move the
>    cursor under the section you are answering and put your reply
>    there.
>
>    It is often expressed, a little more crudely, but effectively:
>
>       "Puting your reply at the top, because that's where the cursor
>       is, is like shitting in your pants because that's where your
>       arsehole is."

At work the default set up of our email client does a bit
more than "put the cursor at the top".  It puts a heading
for each message in the thread, plus puts a heading for the
message your are about the write.  Also, by default it does
not let you edit anything but the message you are about to
write.  You can get around that but no one at the office
bothers.  It's not as easy as moving the cursor to where you
want to make your reply.

David