Processors looking for a good home

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 17:15:18 UTC 2007

Try a thick-client then? Our not-quite-thin-clients at work have
NVidia chipsets on the motherboard and nicely accelerated graphics.
Heck, they even run beryl if you're into that sort of thing. They're
still driveless though, so no hard-disk hum. Fans you'll still need if
you're making use of the local CPU and not running apps remotely
(hence thick rather than thin), but you can still use of the storage
and oft-times power on one machine while running a smaller one
elsewhere.

My current project is to get some of my little boxen up with a wifi
card and a kernel+initrd that will support it stuffed onto a flash
card (IDE-CF adaptor) so that I can run the client with fanless and
driveless off both PXE and wifi.

Not sure yet about performance on wifi, but I guess I'll find out soon
enough :-)