Processors looking for a good home

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 17:11:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:48:06PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
>> Just run a thin client on your desk and put the noisy computers in a place
>> where you don't care, like the basement.  Cheaper than the expense of
>> making a powerful but silent computer and gives great (even better
>> performance) than a regularl workstation.  I've run a thin client on my
>> desk for 10+ years.
>
> Great, unless you need graphics performance.  Of course graphics cards
> are often loud, so what can you do.  Oh yeah, you get get a better case
> to dampen the sound. :)  For regular office work or programming, sure
> put the cpu somewhere else (works for me).

I've streamed by TV tuner card to the thin client over two cheap 100MB/s
switches.  Worked as well as the console.  Then I sent it over ssh and it
still worked nearly as well as the console of the server (400MHz Epia cpu
on the thin client).

I've also played GLTron to a thin client which was actually a Pentium-266
with 64MB of ram (with some fancy features off, but that is a function of
the vid card on the thin client).  I've also played other high intensity
games to a thin client.

So while the thin client may constrain some graphically intensive apps I'm
yet to run across them.  Some people have suggested that CAD may not work
well to a thin client but I've never tried this.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"