Advice for starting a new project?

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 14:13:50 UTC 2007

Hi Kareem,
> I'm leaning
> towards FOSS because I think it'll fit the project as well as my personal
> beliefs and values, but I have no idea what it takes to go down that road.

If you have the skills to build it yourself, then begin to do so. Most
FOSS projects are begun by someone with a vision and the know-how to
get it done. If instead you need help from others, then soliciting
help from this list would be a great place to start.

> BTW: I'd love nothing better than to put out all of the details on the idea,
> but at this point the idea of "intellectual property" scares the crap out of
> me.  What if some unscrupulous company takes the idea, makes a prototype,
> and patents it?

I think posting a detailed outline of your idea on a public mailing
list would constitute prior art in any trademark dispute. However, if
there's one thing I've learned, it's that ideas are cheap. Instead of
worrying about whether someone will steal your idea, you should do the
real work and actually execute on it.

--
Aaron Vegh, Principal
Innoveghtive Inc.