OT: Compaq Proliant 2500 Servers - Any Value?

Allen Taylor tlug-G8usDCtqe957Ar2qsurDTA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 05:54:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 02:52:04PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 02:14:14PM -0400, Allen Taylor wrote:
> > Off topic but someone might be interested (and I did use a Slack disk
> > for testing!):
> >  . . .
> > Compaq Proliant 2500 (Qty: 9)
> > . . .
> >
> Well they are just old x86 machines, and while machines capable of SMP
> were interesting some years ago, today anyone can get a multi core
> machine we a few hundred dollars that is 10 times faster and uses less
> power and has 8 to 16 times the ram.  This is why I don't collect old
> x86 systems at all, only interesting stuff. :)
>
> You could save the CPUs and ram since there may be people that would
> find that stuff useful as spare parts, although not very many systems
> ever ran buffered ecc edo dimms.

Yeah, 4 years ago I would have loved to have one to play with myself and
7 years ago I did have one under my desk at a client for a MS SQLServer
project. Now my old Thinkpad has more horse power. As I said, this was a
"just in case someone wants to play" situation.

Now a PDP-11 would bring back old memories . . . !

Allen