amateur question about wlan

Dominic Bonfiglio dominicbonfiglio-Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 15 20:35:09 UTC 2007

hello,

i am running an atheros madwifi driver on an ibm t42p with a kde 10.2
os. i've noticed that, compared to other pcs, my system has a difficult
time connecting (or staying connected) to wireless networks. for
example, i currently live in a house with a wlan system (and wpa
security). from my room, the signal strength averages between 35 and 45.
i can connect but lose the signal regularly. in an average hour, i have
to reconnect 4 times. is this normal? is it just  a matter of the signal
strength being too low? or does it have something to do with the atheros
driver or linux in general? could it also be my hardware?

thanks for your input in advance,

dominic