mount slave drive

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 14 22:31:05 UTC 2007

I'm going to assume that the drive is an IDE. Here are your standard
IDE drive designations in linux:

Primary Master /dev/hda
Primary Slave /dev/hdb
Secondary Master /dev/hdc
Secondary Slave /dev/hdd

Assuming that your data is on the first partition of the primary
slave, you would use

mount /dev/hdb1 /some/place/to/mount
(the place you are mounting to must already exist)

If you have a windows FAT32 filesystem, you might want to mount it
under a particular UID. On my systems (Debian), the first general user
is UID 1000, so that would be:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /some/place/to/mount

If you wanted to list the partitions, you could do
fdisk -l /dev/hdb
(or any other drive)

Or for a nicer gui
cfdisk /dev/hdb
(just don't accidentally make a change and then accidentally save over
your partition table).

Lastly, there's a gui tool called qtparted that lets you view, resize,
etc drive partitions. You could just use it to peek around your drives
and see what partitions are available.

If you happen to have SCSI/SATA drives, your drives are likely going
to be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc instead of hda, hdb and so on.

Cheers,

TJA