Networking Troubles

Fri Sep 14 15:03:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 11:44:54PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

>resolv.conf:
>nameserver 192.168.1.1
>search gotdns.org
>
>network/interfaces:
>allow-hotplug eth1
>iface eth1 inet static
>  address 192.168.1.251
>  netmask 255.255.255.0
>  network 192.168.1.0
>  broadcast 192.168.1.255
>  gateway 192.168.1.1
>  # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
>  dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
>  dns-search gotdns.org
>
>hosts:
>127.0.0.1 localhost
>192.168.1.251 yam.gotdns.org yam

UPDATE:

Could this be a problem fixed by the route command?  I recall doing
something with that once that fixed something like this.

I just ran route with no arguments, and got this:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway     Genmask       Flags Metric Ref Use  Iface
localnet        *           255.255.255.0 U     0      0     0  eth1
default         192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0       UG    0      0     0  eth1

There was the characteristic pause between the localnet line and the
default line - as if it was waiting for a timeout.
--

yours,

William