Networking Troubles

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 14 14:06:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:17:31AM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
> This is a question about my own setup, but in the same flow....
>
> bash# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search in.mason-rose.ca
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   (the current IP address from the router, provided by DHCP)
>
> This works passably, but is kindof slow.  And dig +trace doesn't work.
> If I reverse the nameservers, dig +trace works for some sites.  If I
> remove the router nameserver it doesn't work, even though I have named
> running on the linux box.  I have a fairly tight firewall, is there
> something I should have enabled besides 80, 22, 25 in order to have
> named work properly?

Well port 53 (tcp and udp) of course, since that is what DNS uses.

It would probably be faster to make your local nameserver forward to the
IP of the router so that instead of asking it, timing out, then asking
to other, the local DNS will simply ask the other for you when it
doesn't know the answer.

--
Len Sorensen