Networking Troubles

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 14 13:58:52 UTC 2007

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of William
> O'Higgins Witteman
> Sent: Thursday 13 September 2007 23:45
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Networking Troubles
>
> resolv.conf:
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> search gotdns.org

Sounds like something in your router isn't set up right.  Could be a dead
entry if it's just forwarding DNS queries (usually the case with
off-the-shelf routers) or could be having problems with root lookups.

> network/interfaces:
> allow-hotplug eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
>   address 192.168.1.251
>   netmask 255.255.255.0
>   network 192.168.1.0
>   broadcast 192.168.1.255
>   gateway 192.168.1.1
>   # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
>   dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
>   dns-search gotdns.org

Everything here looks right, though I'm making a few assumptions about your
network setup.

> >Lastly, with your postfix error, do you have any entries in the hosts
> file?
> >I don't know much about postfix, but I've seen some mailers that won't
> use
> >the hosts entries and run exclusively off DNS.
>
> hosts:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.1.251 yam.gotdns.org yam
>
> Does any of that help?

Well, it certainly narrows it down.  There isn't an entry in the hosts file
for your smtp server, so it has to be in the DNS.  I don't know much about
postfix, so about the only thing I can think of is that it's timing out
looking up the entry, but that's a wild guess.

I'd check that your router is set up properly and try it again.

Good luck!

-kms