TLUG spam

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 22:40:19 UTC 2007

--- Michael Kennedy <michael-FlpYSvOe4ac6W4JZGn+SJw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Another approach would be to invalidate mail coming
> from list members
> that have incorrect full names....  As an example,
> the ones that are
> coming in now are supposedly from 'drew-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org', and
> 'drew-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org's
> usual full name is "Drew Sullivan", so if we see a
> message coming in
> from 'drew-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org' with a name like "Selma Hartley",
> then that should
> raise the 'spamosity' metrics of the message and
> push it into the
> teeth of the filter.
>
> Is that doable?

Yes, but it carries another problem, members whose
names change. The most recent example that I can think
of (and there is at least one other examples I could
name) is Leah Cunningham / Kubik . Here we have a case
where Leah Cunningham joined the list, but postings
from that person (thanks to marriage) are now under
the name Leah Kubik. In other words, yes, screening
based on the name the person joined under would help,
but introduce a new set of issues. Which is worse?

Colin McGregor