.odt or .sxw ?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 21:13:22 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> I think that this is a simple enough OO question that it's not worth
> joining their mailing list:
>
> My OO 2.2 defaults to .odt when saving files. So, I keep saving it as
> .sxw. I have to keep comfirming that I want to save as .sxw. I'm tired
> of doing this. Is there no .sxw 2.x file format. Is .odt the new standard.
The .sxw is far less of a 'standard' than ODT. IIRC,
OpenOffice/StarOffice is the only software that can really open the old
.sx? formats properly. There are reports that the KOffice filters were
unreliable. OTOH, ODT is an ISO standard that will be supported
(natively or via plugin) by all major office suites.

> Almost all of my saved files are .sxw. Should I be making the switch.
> I don't think I use any of the newer features (whatever they are) that
> I'm ever going to lose anything critical either way. I guess OO is
> just warning me that some features may not be there if I create in OO
> 2.2 but save in OO 1. I guess OO 2.2 doesn't look at what's in my
> specific document before advising.
The only downside of storing in ODT is that the files can't be opened in
OpenOffice 1.X.

My own suggestion is 'if it's not broken don't fix it'. Keep older files
as .sxw, but as you need to modify them save the result as .odt. You're
making your files more standards-compliant that way.

- Evan