.odt or .sxw ?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 17:26:17 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> The default format for OpenOffice 2 is the ISO standard OpenDocument
>> Format.  If you want to always save in the older OpenOffice 1
>> formats, you can make that the default.  However, is there any reason
>> to continue using the older format?  The only reason I can think of,
>> is that you want to give the files to someone who can only run the
>> 1.x versions of OpenOffice or equivalent StarOffice.  OpenOffice 2
>> can read and write both file types.  If you wish, you can convert all
>> your existing files to the new format by using a wizard.
> Okay, I tried the Wizard. Unfortunately it does a Save As (so I'm left
> with two files) and then I have to delete the .sxw. There doesn't seem
> to be a switch to delete original...

I believe that's intended as a safety feature, against possible
corruption.  There's nothing to stop you from using wild cards i.e.
*.sxw to move or delete the originals.  Also, now that you've converted
to ODF files, you can use other word processors, such as KWrite or
Abiword with those files.  They also supported by other apps, such as
Lotus Notes 8 and Google Apps or even MS Office (requires Sun ODF pluggin).