Dual display with built-in mobo video

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 17:08:10 UTC 2007

Mobo: Elitegroup P4M800PRO-M478
Chipset: VT8237 Southbridge, P4M800PRO(?) Northbridge

The manual describes the video as being integrated to the northbridge
"UniChrome Pro 3D/2D"

> On most boards the internal video is disabled automatically when an add
> in agp card is plugged in.  Sometimes you can activate it again and use
> it as a second display but not always.  The reason it often doesn't work
> is that the onboard video is AGP based, and you can't have more than one
> AGP device in a system.  PCIe and PCI works differently.

Yea, I couldn't find an option in the BIOS other than "Primary Video".  It
looks like that's pretty much what it's doing.

> I have a 21" Dell Trinetron with a slight focus problem in the top left
> corner I am not using anymore.  It is going out as soon as I get around
> to it, unless someone happens to think they have a use for such a
> monster.  I got a nice 24" LCD which takes up much less desk space and
> is in focus.  Oh and I have a 21" NEC as well which sometimes looses the
> blue channel (power cycle always fixes it for a little while) which is
> also going out.

I remember being so excited when I saw this one at Factory Direct, and even
happier when I got it home and it actually worked well.  It was my standby
for years, and made many of my college mates jealous.

Le sigh, how things change.  Oh well.  I guess this is a good change: the
old tubes consume a ton of energy too.

-kms