Help... Acer monitor with no frequency info

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 14:43:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 05:34:55PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Is this common with LCD monitors?  Just got a brand new Acer X241Wsd
> 24" 1920x1200.  There is *NO INFO WHATSOEVER* in any of the manuals or
> on the web, as to what the horizontal and vertical frequencies are.  I
> hesitate to hook it up before I get the numbers, fo fear of "smoking"
> it.  There's a CD with a *WINDOWS* setup program, which is totally
> useless.  I've sent an email via the form on the acersupport.com
> website; the site says that it might take 3 or 4 days to get an answer.
> The live chat support is down for some reason.
>
>   Anybody have any info about it?

Ehm, ask DDC maybe?  Of course if you use the DVI connector then it
isn't even relevant (and believe me you want to use the DVI connector).
Since all screens the last decade have DDC there is little need to
provide such specs to the user, since the system will auto detect it and
do the right thing.

Now in my experience most LCD screens have a vertical refresh support of
50 to 75hz, with 60 being prefered whenever possible.

As some examples:

Eizo has a 24" 1920x1200 widescreen and is uses:
DVI: Vertical 59-61Hz, Horizontal 31-76KHz
VGA: Vertical 49-86Hz, Horizontal 24-94KHz

I can't check what my Dell 2407WFP-HC does, since it is currently
connected by DVI in which case it doesn't even bother mentioning
anything it just does the resolution using a single link DVI signal.

You can usually find the specs simply by connecting the monitor and
starting X, then look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and find where it
lists the monitor information.

--
Len Sorensen