Dual display with built-in mobo video

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 14:51:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 09:40:39PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Just a quick question that I'm sure someone on this list can answer in a
> heartbeat, with a possible prize at the end.  The MoBo on my semi-new Ubuntu
> box has video on-board.  Since I've added my own AGP video card for 3D
> capabilities, can I use the on-board output for a second monitor?  If so,
> how do I go about getting Ubuntu to find it?  lspci is showing me no love so
> far.

Which motherboard, and more importantly which chipset does it have
onboard for video?

On most boards the internal video is disabled automatically when an add
in agp card is plugged in.  Sometimes you can activate it again and use
it as a second display but not always.  The reason it often doesn't work
is that the onboard video is AGP based, and you can't have more than one
AGP device in a system.  PCIe and PCI works differently.

> The back story and prize: Dug up my old Dell/Trinitron 20" CRT and thought
> "hey, this would be great for X-Plane and general use on my Linux desktop".
> and then I plugged it in and remembered why I switched to LCD's.  I'm just
> weird enough to be able to see the refresh (even at 60+ Hz).  It's also not
> as bright as my Samsung SyncMaster, which I find surprising, and overall
> isn't doing me very well.  So, whoever answers first gets first dibs if (and
> there's still a chance I might find a use for it, but not likely) I decide
> to get rid of it.

I have a 21" Dell Trinetron with a slight focus problem in the top left
corner I am not using anymore.  It is going out as soon as I get around
to it, unless someone happens to think they have a use for such a
monster.  I got a nice 24" LCD which takes up much less desk space and
is in focus.  Oh and I have a 21" NEC as well which sometimes looses the
blue channel (power cycle always fixes it for a little while) which is
also going out.

--
Len Sorensen