Help... Acer monitor with no frequency info

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 02:23:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 06:00:40PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote
> Walter Dnes wrote:
>>   Is this common with LCD monitors?  Just got a brand new Acer X241Wsd
>> 24" 1920x1200.  There is *NO INFO WHATSOEVER* in any of the manuals or
>> on the web, as to what the horizontal and vertical frequencies are.  I
>> hesitate to hook it up before I get the numbers, fo fear of "smoking"
>> it.
>>
> Is that not a modern enough monitor that it will be autodetected by
> whatever linux distro you are installing?

  I'll admit to knowing almost nothing about monitor autodetection.  The
last time I used "automatic settings" was years ago with Redhat 7.3 when
I selected "SVGA monitor that can do 1024x768".  Since then, I've always
set the monitor frequency range inside the xorg.conf file (or xf86.conf
file before that).  I unpacked the LCD monitor out of the box yesterday,
so it is brand new.  It has VGA and DVI connectors.

  I'm running Gentoo.  I'm currently emerging the "mkxf86config" package
(don't worry, it generates xorg.conf in current releases).  I'll try
that for video setup.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?